June 12, 2012

The Unexpected Within Motherhood





This week's Toddle Along Tuesday post is about what is unexpected with pregnancy or having a child. Feel free to link up!

I expected a lot with having a child. I expected no sleep, his needs before mine, no alone time, not being able to hang out with friends and all this other nonsense. Let me tell you now, I HATE how people perceive having children. Sure, I didn't get as much sleep as normal, but I still got plenty. My husband and I took turns helping through the night when he was a newborn. When my husband went back to work, I woke up during the night to help with Liam. However, once he was home for the night, he took Liam. Even after working all day, he still came home to help. I get plenty of sleep now, I still get alone time if I ever want it (my husband will gladly watch him), I can hang with friends with or without Liam; it's just all nonsense. Everyone makes you think having a child is so hard. I actually think it is easy in the most part. Ok, easy isn't the right word, but hopefully you understand what I mean. I am so blessed to have this little man in my life and I don't think it was hard with him at all, even as a newborn. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes I don't know what to do for him or what he wants. Sometimes he cries for no reason and just wants his mom and dad. Sometimes he is sick and just cries. It's not all easy, but it's also nowhere near what people think it's like.
One other unexpected part of having Liam is the fact that I lost a lot of friends. I realized that I knew things wouldn't be the same, but I didn't think everyone would leave me or be stupid. I always have to meet people somewhere just because I have Liam. You know how quick I could snap his car seat in their car?! Why waste gas for both cars when we could take one? Plus, Liam is well behaved. He is never acting out in public, he never cries in public unless he's hungry/thirsty. People give you that look, like 'oh no, here comes a mother and her child. I need to sit far away as possible.' Not all children act out or scream. Even if they do, most are babies, it's going to happen. It's not like they just tell you in words what they want. I just wish people would think twice about me and my life. I can still go have fun with Liam around. My friends love him; the ones who stuck around. Others are too busy I guess to hang out with me. I don't always have to have Liam around, but they don't seem to realize that.Oh well, I guess that's the price I pay for growing up and having my own life with my husband and Liam. Maybe some of my other friends need to grow up and realize that life isn't only about partying. I wouldn't change my life for the world.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with losing friends. That has been one really hard part of motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard sometimes when you feel like you are losing/lost friends because of having a child. I can remember being your age and feeling the exact same way. Hang in there lovely. It will get better and the older he gets you will meet more people your age with children and form new kinds of friendships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! I'm just happy that I have the friends I have now, who stick with me through all this craziness.

      Delete

Tell me anything you would like. I will still love ya no matter what. ;) I see comments as both rewarding and helpful. I want to know your thoughts!